What is b12?
Vitamin B12 is an essential water-soluble vitamin that is commonly found in a variety of foods such as fish, shellfish, meat, and dairy products. Vitamin B12 is frequently used in combination with other B vitamins in a vitamin B complex formulation. It helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells and is also needed to make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 is bound to the protein in food. Hydrochloric acid in the stomach releases B12 from protein during digestion. Once released, B12 combines with a substance called intrinsic factor (IF) before it is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Elderly are the most at risk. However, deficiency can result from being unable to use vitamin B12. Inability to absorb vitamin B12 from the intestinal tract can be caused by a disease known as pernicious anemia.
Additionally, strict vegetarians or vegans who are not taking in proper amounts of B12 are also prone to a deficiency state.
B12 Shot Cost
PicMed are shots for b12 are only $10.00 and no appointment is ever required.
Benefits of Vitamin B12 Shots
B12 is a great energy boosters. It works through the red blood cells, by enabling them to carry oxygen more efficiently. An oxygenated cell is a cell that is at its optimum, full of energy and won’t tire easily. B12 is also great for the skin. These are just some of the benefits – overall, it’s an essential vitamin that the body must have to stay in balance. The only problem is that it is not that easily found in food – very few foods are B12 rich and these are essentially meat and eggs. This leaves especially vegans to look for sources elsewhere, in fortified foods, supplements or vitamin B12 shots. Shots are a preferred option because of their direct and immediate absorption into the bloodstream.
- B12 increases metabolism, the side effect of which can be weight loss. With regular B12 shots and a combination of other weight loss regimens, people have reported to lose weight much faster and they attribute it to the shot.
- B12, as we said earlier is a great energy booster. What better way to deliver an energy booster than directly into the bloodstream? The other option would be to take a supplement, which would take many hours in the digestive process and would lose much value along the way.
- Speaking of value, with a B12 shot, you retain almost all the B12 – none of it gets lost in the digestive process. For comparisons sake, a B12 tablet leaves you with only 1.2% of B12 in the tablet. A shot will lose very little, if any.
- B12 Shots are highly recommended mood boosters as well. B12 is essential for a properly functioning central nervous system – we know that dysfunction can lead to depression. If you suffer from mild depression once in a while, you can try a B12 shot as a mood booster – some people have reported feeling happily giddy afterwards, but not for long. In a few hours, it settles and you are just happy!
- B12 is essential for a properly functioning cardiovascular system. It thins the blood and prevents blood stickiness. Blood cells sticking together is what leads to a blood clot which can cause a stroke.
If you are getting vitamin B12 shots regularly, you’re probably already feeling the tremendous changes it can have on your body. If you’re not yet taking in B12 to boost your diet, or are taking supplements, you should consider the shot. It’s quick, painless and has multiple benefits.